THIS July and August, our flagship the M/Y Steve Irwin, will travel the east coast of Australia to Abbot Point, to oppose the Adani Carmichael coal mine, rail link and coal port. Our position will be made clear - Australia will not trade the Great Barrier Reef with one of the world’s biggest and most destructive coalmines.
Why Stop Adani?
Climate change threatens not only our oceans but our very way of life.
- Adani expects to produce 2.3 billion tonnes of coal over 60 years, mainly for export to India, whilst pumping 4.7 billion tonnes of planet warming greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere.
- Mining, burning and exporting coal is the key contribution Australia makes to this
- global crisis.
- Australia is the largest exporter of coal in the world. We literally export climate change to the world.
- If it goes ahead, Adani’s mine would be Australia’s biggest ever coal mine and one of the largest in the world.
The Great Barrier Reef
Australia's much-loved natural icon, the Great Barrier Reef, is home to thousands of reefs, hundreds of islands and over 600 types of corals, colourful fish, molluscs, starfish, plus endangered turtles, dolphins, whales and sharks.
But the reef is under serious threat.
Development of the proposed Carmichael Adani coal mine, rail link and coal port would require a massive dredging program – right through the heart of the reef – and bring an extra 500 coal ships through the Great Barrier Reef each year. Burning the coal, no matter where in the world, will worsen climate change which is already causing the reef to bleach and die.
- Unprecedented bleaching events on the Great Barrier Reef in 2016 and 2017 resulted in mass coral mortality. 30% of the coral is now dead, thanks to climate change, which coal is largely responsible for.
- By 2034, the extreme ocean temperatures that led to the 2016 and 2017 bleaching events may occur every two years.
- The return period for global bleaching events has decreased from 27 years in the 1980s to only 5.9 years now.
Adani’s new coal will only exacerbate these impacts, signing the death certificate for our Great Barrier Reef.
JOIN US – watch the M/Y Steve Irwin sail in to Circular Quay to launch Operation Reef Defence:
Operation Reef Defence Dates
Ports of Call: SYDNEY 20-22 July | BRISBANE 29-30 July
Ship at Anchor: COFFS HARBOUR 24 July | BYRON BAY 27 July
GOLD COAST 28 July | NOOSA 31 July | YEPPOON 4 August | MACKAY 5 August
ABBOT POINT 8 August
Adani coal port under threat of stop order amid concern for sacred sites | The Guardian | June 28
Adani's plans to protect desert springs are worthless, water experts say | ABC Local | June 12
Adani says 450% bigger Carmichael mine does not need a new review | The Guardian | June 12
Stop Adani movement kicks off 2018 with parliament protest | The Guardian | February 14
Adani should not get a loan | Brisbane Times | November 8
Stop Adani campaign to hit top gear ahead of Queensland election | The Australian | November 6
Adani activists spell out grievance | Townsville Bulletin, October 9, 2017
Thousands take to the streets with chants of Adani Go Home! | India Today, October 9, 2017
You can follow the campaign by searching for #StopAdani on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.