The same humpback whales that are being targeted by the Japanese whalers face a new threat, a gas hub in a place called James Price Point in Western Australia. It is the world's largest humpback whale nursery.
Woodside and the West Australian Government want to drill and dredge up to six kilometres out to sea, with a jetty several kilometres long right through the middle of it. This would mean turbidity from dredging, oil spills, industrial discharges, noise, light and vessel strikes, affecting whales, dolphins, turtles, dugongs and fish.
It has taken over three decades for the Western Australian humpback population to bounce back from the brink of extinction due to whaling. The worlds largest humpback nursery is on the line.
Sea Shepherd received an invitation from the Goolarabooloo native people to help them in their efforts to halt the construction. Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is honoured to have received this invitation and we are pleased to have the opportunity to serve constructively with the effort of so many who wish to oppose this invasion of this beautifully diverse coastal region by corporations that wilfully blind themselves to the true value of what they destroy.
"Sea Shepherd accepts the invitation in the spirit of eternal friendship with a promise to stand in unity with the Goolarabooloo to defend the beauty and sacredness of this wondrous environment." - Captain Paul Watson.
In honouring the Goolarabooloo, we are naming this campaign operation Kimberley Miinimbi, the Goolarabooloo name for humpback whale.
- February 6, 2013 - No Place Sacred - Woodside Prepares to Destroy Ancient Burial Sites and Humpback Nursery
- September 12, 2012 - Operation Kimberley Miinimbi Summary and Launch of Campaign Film
- September 5, 2012 - Hundreds Rally in Sydney for Kimberley Whales
- August 25, 2012 - Operation Kimberley Miinimbi Update
- August 11, 2012 - The Steve Irwin encounters the World’s Largest Humpback Whale Nursery
- August 8, 2012 - Sea Shepherd Arrives in Broome to Begin Whale Survey at James Price Point
- August 6, 2012 - Former Greens Senator Bob Brown in Broome to begin Operation Kimberley Miinimbi
- July 31, 2012 - Campaign leaders to greet MY Steve Irwin in Broome
- July 24, 2012 - Steve Irwin Departs for Broome to Commence Operation Kimberley Miinimbi
- July 18, 2012 - Bob Brown and Sea Shepherd Launch Operation Kimberley Miinimbi
- July 13, 2012 - Sea Shepherd Calls On its Supporters to Oppose Gas Hub for Aussie Humpbacks