Recruiting: Marine Debris National Campaigner
Friday, 26 Aug, 2022
FTE Classification: Full-time
12 Month Contract to Permanent
Location: This role is location agnostic and can be 100% remote within Australia. For hybrid working, offices are currently available in Melbourne and Perth.
About Sea Shepherd Australia:
Sea Shepherd Australia is a non-profit marine conservation organisation, that campaigns to defend, conserve and protect the ocean. Our mission is to protect defenceless marine wildlife and end the destruction of habitat in the world’s oceans. By safeguarding the biodiversity of our delicately balanced oceanic ecosystems, Sea Shepherd Australia works to ensure their survival for future generations.
Sea Shepherd sees the key threats to ocean to be, Plastic Pollution, Illegal Fishing, Climate Change, and threats to vulnerable and endangered species.
About the role:
An opportunity has arisen for a Marine Debris (MD) Campaigner to join the team. This central role is responsible for driving the overarching MD strategy and involves planning, strategy development, stakeholder management, and team coordination.
This role is both reactive and pro-active and must able to cope with rapidly changing conditions. It’s extremely diverse, with responsibilities including speaking engagements, grant proposals, media interviews, budget management, social media and of course, beach clean ups.
You must be comfortable working independently and be confident with virtual and online communication methods as many of our team are dispersed across states. Travel is part of the role, with trips to remote beach clean-up locations seen as a perk of the job!
What you’ll do as our Marine Debris Campaigner:
- Assist in developing the strategy and execution of MD campaigns to protect Australia’s coasts and marine life from plastic pollution.
- Be a key spokesperson and writer for the campaign and educator across various media channels, schools and potentially corporate partners.
- Build relationships with key stakeholders, fostering strategic partnerships and participate in government meetings, panels and submissions in order gain momentum and make an impact.
- Participate in beach clean-up at times to stay connected with the campaign and crew.
- Prepare relevant briefings and updates to staff, Board and other stakeholders on specific campaign issues, progress and outcomes.
- Undertake government submissions/ advocacy in a bid to see plastic industry reform.
- Coach, mentor, and lead the small (3 person) MD team, giving them feedback, guidance and accountability.
Who you are:
- You have a passion for the environment, and are highly motivated to make a positive impact in this role.
- You enjoy a diverse role, and are a strong leader with a proven track-record.
- You have excellent communication skills, and are able to convey powerful messages to a range of audiences (written and verbal).
- You have experience with nonprofit campaigns and can bring together many moving parts.
- You are comfortable with public speaking and presentations.
- You have run a team before and are able to adopt a coaching-style of leadership.
- You have a current driver's license and are capable of light manual handling.
Life at Sea Shepherd:
Everyone at Sea Shepherd Australia enjoys role autonomy and is driven by the shared vision of ocean conservation.
Our friendly and supportive team will facilitate a great working environment. Our remote-first culture means that we can work from around Australia and stay connected and aligned.
Our team members enjoy paid days off to volunteer to causes which are aligned to the organisation’s. Everyone gets a paid day off on their birthday (and cake) and we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
More about Sea Shepherd:
Please note that all roles at Sea Shepherd are hired on rolling 12-month contracts. This enables our small (but powerful) organisation to remain agile in the changing landscape. This role is highly likely to have a contract extension after 12 months.
To apply, submit a copy of your resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us why you’re perfect for this role!
If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can deliver results, please still send us your resume. If this role isn't for you but you’d love to be in the Sea Shepherd family one day, lodge your expression of interest here.
No recruitment agencies.