Recruiting: Chief Operating Officer
Monday, 03 Oct, 2022
This role is location agnostic and can be 100% remote within Australia. For hybrid working, offices are currently available in Melbourne and Perth.
About the Organisation
Sea Shepherd Australia Limited (SSAL) is a non-profit marine conservation organisation that campaigns to defend, conserve and protect the ocean. Our mission is to protect defenceless marine wildlife and end the destruction of habitat in the world’s oceans. By safeguarding the biodiversity of our delicately balanced oceanic ecosystems, Sea Shepherd Australia works to ensure their survival for future generations. Sea Shepherd sees the key threats to ocean to be, Plastic Pollution, Illegal Fishing, Climate Change, and threats to vulnerable and endangered species.
This newly-created role will give an experienced Chief Operating Officer full responsibility and autonomy to drive the success of Sea Shepherd Australia.
The COO is the organisation's second-in-command and responsible for the efficiency, commercialisation, and every-day operations of organisation. The COO role is a key member of the senior management team, reporting only to the CEO. The goal of the COO is to drive the operations of business to achieve extensive and sustainable growth.
This is a highly diverse role which drives and influences outcomes in all areas of the organisation including strategy, human resources, finance, IT, marketing, fundraising, business development, fundraising and outreach. The role is focused on the revenue raising activities in the organisation and approaches all areas with a commercial mindset.
What you’ll do as our Chief Operating Officer
- Work with the CEO and other senior employees to develop the SSAL Strategic Plan then drive it into the teams.
- Be an expert in the SSAL business model and make strategic changes to achieve business targets – amplifying SSAL’s efforts.
- Help the CEO set comprehensive goals for performance and growth, then evaluate results and report to the Board.
- Find ways to continuously improve our operations and drive revenue from all avenues.
- Oversee the internal business systems and ensure that the chosen systems are efficient, value for money, and widely adopted by the team.
- Develop a risk register and undertake initiatives to reduce organisational risk.
- Live the SSAL values and set a positive culture, living by example and communicating the vision and mission to the team constantly.
- Assist with HR matters when required, and approve new hires, terminations, and other matters as required (supporting the HR business Partner).
- Attend board meetings and present critical information and assist with leadership decision making.
- Coach, mentor, delegate, and provide feedback to your direct reports.
Who you are
- You have been in a COO role before (or similar)
- You have been a leader in a start-up, fast-paced, NFP, or agile business before which required you to be autonomous, outcome driven, multi-tasking and laser focused.
- You are passionate about ocean conservation and have (or are willing to gain) knowledge and understanding of current marine environmental issues and Sea Shepherd campaigns.
- You have excellent communication, people management skills, organisational skills and ability to delegate.
- You have a demonstrated ability to manage frequent change and work well under challenging circumstances.
- You have a positive mindset and can bring high energy and effective solutions to a multitude of common business challenges.
- You have had exposure to projects in key areas of business including HR, finance, IT, marketing and revenue-raising.
- You can travel interstate and are comfortable presenting and public speaking (if required).
Life at Sea Shepherd
Our friendly and supportive team will facilitate a great working environment – we are flexible with working hours, working from home, and outcome driven projects.
Our team is geographically spread across Australia, and we pride ourselves on our remote-first culture. Our team members enjoy additional paid days off on their birthday and to volunteer to causes aligned to the organisation's campaigns.
We are a passionate and values-driven bunch who value diversity, inclusion and kindness. Our collective passion for the ocean and plant unites us and inspires us to create campaigns with impact.
To apply, submit a copy of your resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions can be directed to Monica at email@example.com
If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you can deliver results, please still send us your resume. If this role isn't for you but you’d love to be in the Sea Shepherd family one day, lodge your expression of interest here.
No recruitment agencies.