Sea Shepherd Onshore Volunteering
Here are a few ideas that will really make a difference:
We can provide you with our newsletters (log) and master copies of information sheets which you can copy to your heart's content to use in any of the following ways:
• Tabling at a Local Event, Expo or Making Your Own Information Table:
Help create awareness of the problems facing our world -- including the destruction and exploitation of marine wildlife worldwide. We provide the materials, you set up a decorative display at an already-arranged event or find a location in your town where you can set up an information table. Hand out information and talk to people about Sea Shepherd - focus on getting new members to join!
• Hold a Benefit for Sea Shepherd at a Local Pub, Restaurant, Community Meeting Place:
Use your creative energies to put together a small concert or theme event for the benefit of your favorite charity. If you know musicians or entertainers (comedians, magicians, or other performers) you can easily put together a fun night. You could collect a door charge for Sea Shepherd and have an information table inside the event.
• Cultivate Public Awareness:
Participate in protests/demonstrations led and/or organized by Sea Shepherd! Let us know if you are available to meet at a public place or government building to display signs, get petitions signed and get the word out!
Use your creativity to reach out to the public - create billboards and/or signs to educate the public!
• Have a Sea Shepherd Party:
Invite everyone you know to join you for a House Party featuring DVD’s of exciting Sea Shepherd footage saving marine life on the high seas! Plan ahead: Get newsletters from the office, information sheets and buy or borrow a DVD to show. (If you have a birthday to celebrate, you could ask for donations in lieu of gifts...)
• Distribute information:
Copy and distribute Sea Shepherd info to anyone and everyone that may be interested in helping to protect marine wildlife. Please stress to them that a donation of any kind sent to our main address (2 Ann Street Williamstown, Victoria 3016) would be very helpful. We also offer a recurring gift donation plan called the Direct Action Crew - donors can make a monthly or quarterly donation via their MasterCard, Visa, or American Express card. We also have some other special donation plans, which are featured on this page.
WISH LIST DONATIONS
Keep an eye on our "Wish List" to see what items are needed both on the ship and in the office. Feel free to call the office any time for an updated list.
Sea Shepherd is constantly looking for crewmembers to work aboard our vessels that sail international waters to investigate, document and enforce marine conservation-related laws, regulations and treaties, as well as for other creative conservation work. Crewmembers are chosen by skills, dedication and commitment, and also by the time that they have available. Wherever our ships are docked, there is a necessity for people to help maintain and clean the vessels. So, if our ship comes into a port near you, we may need your help. To volunteer to crew on our ships, visit our crewing page and download a printable application.
MORE IDEAS...AND NOT JUST FOR STUDENTS!
- Set up a fund-raiser at your school or in your town (bake sale, lemonade sale, car wash).
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper or write a report about Sea Shepherd to help your community, class and teacher learn about an organization of "regular citizens" just like you who decided to stop talking about problems and do something active to make a difference!
- Start a club at school or with your friends -- continue in your efforts to tell more people about what is happening to our world and start taking care of it now.
- Plan letter-writing meetings -- Once you learn about some way that marine life is being harmed, learn as many facts as you can, gather all of the addresses of government officials who could help stop the abuse and get everyone to write intelligent, polite and direct letters.
Plan events similar to the ones mentioned above (fundraising, dances, parties or video-watching).
Thank you for all of your efforts to support Sea Shepherd! We look forward to hearing from you!