2022: A Wrap-up of Wins for the Ocean
Tuesday, 20 Dec, 2022
Sea Shepherd Australia has had a huge year working to protect our precious ocean. Sea Shepherd Australia’s Managing Director, Jeff Hansen, shares the highlights.
Globally, our ships have achieved huge successes on the frontline, busting poachers, shutting down floating slaughterhouses, and hauling deadly traps and ghost nets out of the ocean.
Read more about some of our victories in 2022, from the arrest of the notorious trawler Kanball III, to our new campaign Operation Living Seas and the thousands of illegal octopus traps removed from the Tuscan coast, below.
- Four Arrests in 10 days in Liberia as part of our campaign Operation Sola Stella
- New campaign – Operation Living Seas – launched to protect the most overfished sea in the world from illegal fishing
- 56,000 kilograms of trash removed from Australia’s coastlines. Read more about our remote clean-up campaigns to Arnhem Land, Anindilyakwa, Christmas Island and the Cocos Keeling Islands
- Over 50,000 endangered turtle hatchlings given safe passage into the ocean by our collaboration with CICI in the Conflict Islands
- Notorious trawler Kanbal III arrested in Liberia as part of Operation Sola Stella
- Thousands of illegal octopus traps removed from the Tuscan coast during our campaign to protect octopus and monk seals
- Over 4 kilometres of abandoned fishing nets (known as ‘ghost nets’) removed from the Mediterranean Sea as part of our Ghost Net Campaign
- Sea Shepherd assists in the arrests of 80 illegal fishing vessel in African waters since our campaigns to combat illegal fishing began in 2016. Read more about our campaigns to combat illegal fishing
- Sea Shepherd lawsuit succeeds in protecting critically endangered Maui dolphins in New Zealand
- Sea Shepherd and Namibia renew joint patrols, successfully deterring illegal fishers as part of our campaign Operation Vanguard
Take a look at photos from our 2022 campaigns to defend, conserve and protect the ocean
With new campaigns on the horizon, 2023 is already shaping up to be a huge year for ocean defence. We can't wait to share exciting updates with you.
If you want to help keep our ships on the frontline of ocean conservation, you can donate today. All donations made up until the end of the year will be DOUBLED.